Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Vampire Weekend- Debut Album





When you live in a suburb of phx your exposure to breaking bands is severely limited. You don't hob nob with hipsters. There is no buzz at local hangouts. And all the local bands have perfected their Weezer covers and are working on some new stuff that will inevitably sound like a Jimmy Eat World song. So when the new album by Vampire Weekend was released last week I obviously missed it. But thanks to the powers that are the internet I can feel somewhat included in appreciating this new album.




The west african guitar parts in song like Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa sound something like mid-80's paul simon and the constant beat, steel drums and orchestral arrangements of Walcott give the album depth and personality. This album is warm clever and ocdelicious.








3 comments:

Anonymous said...

<3, <3, <3 the song Walcott!! It makes me want to be a cello virtuoso, and get out of cape cod for some weird reason...

Fudmak said...

I might suck at whitty comments, but I love this song. really like the dooooooo-ooooo-ooooo and the cool keyboard/organ at the end. very fun.

Sydney Vivian Lambson said...

Vampie Weekend makes me want to move my head like no other. I agree with you Paul. They rock, like rock n' roll type rock