Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Built to Spill- Car



I have a strong emotional attachment to this song because it was on a mix cd my brother gave to me for Christmas when he came home from a long awaited visit from college. I was in 7th grade. Besides the radio and my parent's collection of vinyl they've had since the age of the dinosaurs, I knew virtually nothing of the outside world of music; and I was happily awakened to the indie world thanks to my brother's empty, college pockets. Car happens to be track one on the mix. I remember burning the candle til 2 in the morning as I listened quietly to Built to Spill over and over again. They became my meat and potatoes band, the one that started it all, the group that made me want to know what else was out there, which is exactly what this song is all about. " I want specifics on the general idea I wanna think what I should know Want you to do me what to show I wanna see movies of my dreams". Built to Spill happens to be everywhere. These old guys have been around for a while, and pretty much every indie-alt band out there has at least a speck of Built to Spill in them. Its like they created the "Essentials of Indie" manual and every aspiring musician just had to get their hands on it. Built to Spill has a vast range of formations from heart-exploding love songs to fun indie pop songs to 20 minute intricate ballads. No matter what mood your in, if you pop in one of their albums, you'll fill your ears with indie-loving charm.

http://idisk.mac.com/olneyce/Public/car.mp3

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A burly "yes", and a cub scout salute to everything contained in this blog. world peas & carrots to you.