Thursday, January 24, 2008

Blonde Redhead- Elephant Woman


Although this no-wave group from New York is often compared with Sonic Youth, their two most recent albums 23 and Misery Is a Butterfly makes Blonde Redhead incomparable to any band that I have come across. And there are many, many elements that set them apart from everyone else. Their groves, jazz influenced syncopation and rhythm, and use of exotic instruments and eerie background sounds, place them in the avant-experimental genre. Unfortunately, when some artists enter this experimental and transcendental vortex...they simply produce detached and fuzzy garbage. Not in this case. Blonde Redhead perfectly combines the use of structural compositions with an abstract twist. Their progressive chord changes and dark, romantic themes mystify me. On top of this eeriness that takes you on a trip through the vastness, and sometimes lonely emptiness of the universe is an intensity that grips you, and a violent emotion that leaves you completely awestruck. The song, Elephant Woman, is so full of intensity and emotion its hard to describe how I feel about it....as it is hard to place Blonde Redhead in any classification or with any other artist.

Okay, I finally found a link to the song, but its a YouTube video. And if you don't like the lovely anime graphics, spend your blessed 99 cents and buy it off iTunes.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRbahynwyEs&feature=related

4 comments:

Posey Cowart said...

... Another fun blog to take up more of my time! Thanks!! - Posey!

Fudmak said...

I'm really glad that you're doing this, I find your choice in music amazing. I'd be very happy if you would continue this. I'll really try to check back everyday and spread the word.

Fudmak said...

Just realized that I have been listening to blondie readhead for about thirty minutes, I really like it. Nice find. Do share more.

Katie and Chad Metz said...

I love Blonde Redhead! Thanks to the TripleHits I was introduced to this magical band...