Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Son Lux

If your sister is dating a guy and he is entered in your family's secret santa program and if you select his name and he isn't going to be at your family's Christmas celebration do you have to get his present to him on time? Well the answer to this rhetorical is no, no i didn't get Zach his present by Christmas. But the magnitiude of the greatness makes up for the timing. I gave him the Son Lux album At War With Walls And Mazes.

From some reason I've been into really haunted music recently (see upcoming Bonnie "Prince" Billy post). This is right up that alley but instead of being lo-fi like Beach House or Bon Iver this is a very polished album with walls of sound and empty halls stillness. The way lyrics are repeated while the score increases in intensity then drops to a whisper give the two lines incredible meaning. The classical themes hybrid with truly artist performance manipulations make this CD a must have (well please preview).

The album is great it's been in my player for 4 months.

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

Pauly! Oh how I miss you! You're always one step ahead of the crowd.

chaela said...

Paul, I love Son Lux. Now what I need from you is music that lyrically blows me away. And more existential in nature than romantic.

Chaela

P.S. your face is on my car, what is that about.