Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I need human heat

(Originally written in July)

This week was my birthday and thank you NPR for a great present. Usually I'm not too impressed by Bob Boulin and NPR's All Songs Considered. Much like the rest of NPR arts and culure stories the ASC ends up taking themselves and artists they review a bit too seriously. But recently ASC had a poll on their website to find the best albums of 2008 so far. And the results were pretty interesting. The fist result was the new Panic at the Dicso. I know i know, Panic at the Disco was voted one of the top album by NPR listeners!! But as you most likely suspected Panic at the Disco had a link on their website asking people to vote for them. I'm imagining 17 year old youths with black hair and lip rings leaving the world of pittchforkmedia.com and hot topic to enter, if only for a strategic vote, the parellel universe of Nina Totenberg and Morning Edition. And what happens when dad walks in on that 17 year old son of whom he is so worried about because he doesn't get why he wears eyeliner and girls jeans, when that dad sees the familiar three color logo of NPR on the website? The dad goes through sock first then disbelief next comes a calming feeling of comfort, "he'll be alright, even though he may act oddly and be so aloof from the family Robert Seigel and Renee Montain will bring him back". But sorry dad you've got a few years until your 17 year old son comes around and realizes that


I had to cut myself off. the extended metaphor got away from me. But enjoy the Scottish goodness.

1 comment:

kelsey said...

I too was shocked to see the listeners of npr were also indulging in panic at the disco. Thanks for clearing up this puzzling situation.